Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Mumbai Local Train

I was new to the Mumbai (Bombay, India), coming from the capital, New Delhi. I was warned that travelling in the Mumbai local train would be quite an experience for a newbie. And I was told to avoid it in the beginning of my stay.

These trains are generally overcrowded throughout the day and night too!!! And especially during peak hours they take a sea of humanity with them. I had heard harrowing tales of how newbies to the locals are virtually dragged out of the train by the crowd. You never get out of the train but it's said that you are pushed and pulled out. I never believed it though, until I actually faced.

I got out at Mulund station on my first evening journey on the train. I saw people jumping out although the train had not completely stopped. I thought they must be of those tarzan kind. And told myself that I am one of the more civilised commuters. Then, as the train completely stopped I got out of the train and in seconds I was again in the train. And I knew I will have to something drastic in order to get at this station before the train leaves for the next destination. Suddenly somebody just pushed me out of the train because I was getting in his way to get into the train. Believe me it is this interesting (if you take the journey as an extreme adventure...).

Yes, it's TRUE the crowd decides where you get down, until you flow with the crowd or strategise about how you are going to get into and get out of the train. After some journeys you develop your own ways and start enjoying it. It is fun, to say the least....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,
it was nice to read about a newbies experience in mum local. it provides an insight into mumbai's lifestyle.

December 20, 2005 2:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

similar experience can be experienced in any of Indian Railways local trains during peak hours. Also heard about such experiences from ppl in Kolkata.
anyways! Enjoy!!

January 13, 2006 1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is this server located. Although my comments were made at 2.30PM, it shows 1AM. Actually does'nt matter much!!

January 13, 2006 1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home